Monday, February 21, 2011

Spontaneous trip to Salamanca!

Last weekend we pretty much just hung out in Madrid all weekend... tried to find a sushi place for dinner but the one that we had heard of was closed so we just settled for some tapas. It was my friend Chris' 21st birthday so we all went out Saturday night as a group and had so much fun! I met up with a couple girls from Charlotte who are studying in Barcelona and were in Madrid for the weekend.. It was definitely good to see a familiar face!

This past weekend we decided super last minute to book a one night trip to Salamanca, Spain! It's a little college town about 2 hours east of Madrid. We took a bus and booked the cheapest one which of course had 29236492 stops on the way there, so the way there took almost 4 hours, but I lucked out with the seat with the most leg room so I tried not to complain. We walked around for a good hour before finding our hostal, which was actually really nice! We had our own shower.. which was a good square foot in size but hey I'll take it. People are such midgets over here so I guess it makes sense. Eric's like 6'2" and when we're walking down the street, he looks like he could be casted on TLC's World's Tallest Man. Even I'm taller than most Spaniards, it's pretty funny. So we checked in and put our bags in our rooms so that we could go explore! We found a tapas bar for food and had probably some of the best tapas I've had in Spain yet. I got one that was a piece of bread toasted with cheese, tomato, and ham on it! It was so yummy, kinda tasted like a Spanish version of bruschetta! And then I also had 2 cafe con leches. Man, those things keep me going over here. I'm not sure what I would do without them! We went back to the hostal later on, got ready, and then back out for the night! Eric got in a dance off at the club "cubic" we went to and it was hilarious. He's standing there getting spun around and showed up by this other guy and then out of nowhere Eric does a backhandspring... in the bar. It was hilarious and really unexpected, I didn't know he was such a gymnast! But yeah, needless to say, I think he won the competition.

Sunday we explored some more.. visited the Cathedral, plaza mayor.. and the building with the "frog" on it. It's like a town legend that says if you can find the sculpted frog on this building of intricate detail and design then you will have good luck! I was the last one to find it, of course... and had a couple hints so maybe I won't be so lucky, but I guess better than nothing. It was pretty cool though, that is one of the things that Salamanca is most known for throughout Spain! The bus ride back was only 2.5 hours so that was nice! We came home, showered, ate, and passed out. We leave for Porto, Portugal this thursday after class so just gotta make it through the next 3 days and then we're off on another adventure! :)

                                               charlotte girls!

                                           driving into Salamanca!

                                           Plaza Mayor in Salamanca

                                              beautiful at night!



                                               my favorite picture!

                                                the cathedral!

No comments:

Post a Comment