Monday, March 7, 2011

Girls Weekend in Barca!

So last week was midterm week.... and boy was it brutal. My teacher wasn't lying when she told me she was gonna be my worst nightmare (side note: I have her for 3 of my 4 classes.. talk about some good luck). One of my exams I noticed I forgot a page at the one minute warning and started crying. A little dramatic but I was so stressed and cracked. I tend to overstress a lot when it comes to school work... Oh well, I sure hope it pays off because last week literally killed me.

We left early Friday morning to start our adventure to Barcelona. This time it was only me and lp and it was definitely good to get away just us girls (contrary to popular belief, boys can be very high maintenance haha). It started snowing on our walk to the train station, we definitely weren't expecting that! And apparently it stuck and they ended up getting a couple inches. Good thing we were off to Barca where it was in the 60s because I am so over this cold weather! It's such a gorgeous city though, it felt really good to go back. We found our way from the bus station to Las Ramblas (the main street/strip in barca) and walked into a couple hostals before settling on a cute little one off a side street (which we figured out was a lottt cheaper). Ofcourse it was some holiday weekend or something and prices were higher than usual, just my luck. Needless to say, my bank account officially hates me. But we dropped our stuff off and walked down Las Ramblas, admiring all the strange street entertainers along the way, and after taking a few pics we decided that starbucks was calling our name. It was SO good, literally felt amazing to hold a cup thats not meant for a toddler. We walked along the harbor where all the gorgeous sailboats sit and took some more pics, and then we went home to change and decided to go for a little run to the beach so that I could show lp the coast! It was so pretty, and the ocean smelt so good! We walked to the huge outdoor market on the way home to stock up on some very fresh and cheap veggies to make a huge, hearty salad for dinner! It was the first legit salad I've had since I've been here.. sadly.. but it was amazing. We even topped it with some fresh goat cheese :) We got ready and got a couple drinks at a random bar off Las Ramblas, where the bartender told us our Spanish was really good. It's probably only because we look like two doofus blondes and they wouldn't expect it haha but then we met up with my friend Julia from Charlotte who is studying abroad there and went to this really different bar called La Oveja Negra (the black sheep) and it was really fun! We made it an early night though because we were so drained from such a busy day and week!

Saturday we ventured to this famous gaudy park that took about 2 hours just to get to! We had to take the metro and then walk 2 miles uphill to this awesome park, that honestly didn't even look like a park. It was more a mix between a huge gingerbread house and tree fort, or something, I don't really know. But it was pretty awesome and really unique, it was unlike anything I had ever seen before. We brought sandwiches and some fruit and had a little picnic, it was cute. Exploring the park took up most of the day and we took advantage of the market and made another salad for dinner. We went and got a couple drinks at a different bar, tried some random tapas, and then decided to go home for some much needed sleep!






harbor :)




view from the park

                                     entrance to el parque guell!

No comments:

Post a Comment