Thursday, January 13, 2011

And the journey begins!

Soo the first day we got here at about 8 in the morning (2am my time).. the flight was a little rough.. about 45 min after my large glass of wine and valium (don't worry, doctor prescribed) had finally put me to sleep, I wake up dropping and shaking due to turbulence.. the captain comes on and precedes to tell me it will be moderate turbulence for the next 30-45 minutes. I start freaking out, naturally. I hate flying enough; I definitely didn't need to be told i'd have to fear for my life for the next hour straight. Well, turns out it ended up lasting over an hour and 15 minutes... poor LP had to be awoken from her sleep to squeeze my hand and counsel me the whole time. Woops. But we landed and got our luggage pretty quick... met an auburn 08 grad while waiting.. and were off to the buses to go meet our families!

When we first met our mom, she didn't have a voice so it was a little difficult.. whispering spanish is nearly impossible to understand. Luckily, she lived in New Jersey for a little while to study english so we soon found out she was practically fluent! Our madre is awesome, she's hilarious and so easy going so we definitely got lucky. She's also an amazing cook, so that's a hugeee plus! We also have a 12 year old brother named Moises. So far I've learned he loves to play call of duty. Him and my bro would definitely get along. We bonded over Harry Potter though, and he has three of the movies so I can't wait to watch them with him!! Me and my roommate lp (lauren pollard) came straight to our room (we share a 3rd floor loft that has four twin beds in it) and slept for 5 hours... we woke up to a huge plate of freshly cooked paella by our wonderful mom and then just basically relaxed/slept all day, ate another delicious meal and went to bed. We set our alarms for 230am so that we could watch the auburn football game online, and stayed up until 7 in the morning watching us become national champions!! What a game. As much as I wish I could have been at skybar.... Spain will do. After all the excitement, I couldn't really sleep and we had to be up at 830 for the first day of orientation.... Well, that was the plan. We accidently slept through our alarm and woke up at 1030, and after trying to navigate ourselves via bus to our school for about 2 long hours (which should've taken 15-20 min), we were a littleeee late. We got off the wrong stop, had to ask a million people where to go, and had to do it all in spanish. Should've paid a little more attention last semester. It ended up being a super long day after that so it was a mini-blessing that we slept through half of it.

The second day of orientation was pretty boring, but luckily short. We were also pretty late...again.. due to the bus situation. We finally mastered it down but there is not a schedule or anything. The bus just comes when it comes, so we're definitely going to have to give ourselves a lot of extra time. Today was the first day of classes.. We decided to walk to class today so that we could count on actually making it. It's about a 30-35 minute walk through the city, but Alcala is so pretty so I really don't mind it at all! I had writing techniques and phonetics today. No english is spoken... ever. They weren't kidding when they said you will have a headache for the first 2 weeks straight. They look like they will be pretty tough, but hopefully they won't be that bad. I've been struggling sleep wise. My inner body clock is still so messed up, I'm so exhausted all the time, yet I can't sleep at night? Doesn't really make sense, but this better change soon. I came home today after class and slept for 3 hours because I was barely capable of functioning. But I think we're gonna go out tonight! Yay first night out in Spain!! We met a girl here from the U.S. who also studied here last semester and she gave us the scoop on where to go and when etc. So we'll see! But we also have a tour in Madrid tomorrow at 10am.... I'm not a fan of tours, and I don't think being hungover/tired will make it any better but I can't wait to see Madrid again! It's so beautiful! Well, off to go socialize with mi madre! Miss everyone!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment